Friday, December 23, 2011

50/50 - Personal Review, Tiny Spoilers, and Extras

I managed to get around on watching 50/50 two days ago, and in my opinion, it’s number 1 on the movies that stick to the heart. I laughed, and I cried, and it brought out a lot in reality than just plain Hollywood lines.

A scene such as when the doctor informs Adam he has a tumour on his spine. The doctor seems more focused on his job than comforting him. He suggests seeing a therapist, but because he is a doctor, he just tells what has to be known.

I’m glad they didn’t make that scene a dramatic one, where the doctor gets equally stressed as the patient.

50/50 was the type of movie where in the end, you look differently at yourself in the mirror. You bring out the best of yourself, rather than pouting on flaws. It showed me how fortunate I am and how life is fragile. Adam never expected to get cancer when he lead such a healthy lifestyle, what were the odds of it being a rare form of cancer.

The movie is inspired by true events and I am glad the movie was shot in a more solid structure, rather than making it all dramatic with music and what not.

Adam’s girlfriend, Rachael likes to believe she is capable of taking care of Adam, when deep down she knows she can’t. She wants to be strong, but at the same time she is stuck with a situation she never prepared for in her entire life. Cheating wasn’t the best thing to do at a time like that. That was a dick move.

Kyle is Adam’s enthusiastic friend. He lives his life aimlessly and does real well at putting peoples mind at ease. The last thing he wants is to be surrounded by problems.

I do wonder how Kyle and Adam became friends in real life; having two different personalities and being so close, there must be another story to how that came to be.


Something things I found out afterwards of the film is Seth Rogen’s wife (Lauren Miller) was an actor in the movie. She was the one walking the dog past Kyle and Adam.


“Sugar” from YTV’s “The Zone” was also an actor (Sugar Lyn Beared). She was at the get well soon/farewell party. I remember watching her growing up as a kid, and she still looks the same, her hair has grown though.


Also, Claire, the librarian (Laura Bertram). She was also in another of my childhood favourite show called, “Ready or Not” which aired on YTV.

Lani Billard and Laura Bertman both were actors on the television series "Ready or Not" which aired between  1993-1997
She’s really grown from the last I remember, I secretly had a crush on her from that show.

Overall, the film is a good watch. It changes your minds, and movies that can do that are really powerful. So if you haven’t seen it, be sure to watch it!



No comments:

Post a Comment